A Bit of Background

Hello, my name is Stephanie and I am 25 years old. I have been married for 4 years and my husband and I have been trying to concieve for 1 1/2 years. Thru my husbands first marriage we have 2 children, J.T (17) who is a senior in highschool this year and Brooke (13) who is in the 8th grade and both believe they know everything. Dealing with the infertility has really thrown me for a loop. Feel free to read along as I blog about my feelings and experiences, the good and the bad! This is me, finally, speaking my mind, so if there is something I say that you don't like, remember you don't have to read this! Feel free to comment on anything or send me some advice or your story of infertility here, my email or find me on facebook!
stephsteph777@yahoo.com

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Monday was D day, d for doctor that is!!

Yesterday was Dr. day! I went to my new obgyn. I was so super nervous for several reasons, but mostly scared i was going to get some horrible terrible news. After what seemed like a long conversation with the doctor he finally gives me a answer, a label. Hello my name is Stephanie and I have PCOS. Poly cystic ovarian syndrome. Basically it means that my hormones are out of balance, making me not have a period, and if you don't have a period you cant make eggs and can't make a baby! Also as a result of the hormone changes are many tiny cysts begin to grow on the ovaries (hence the name). So now I begin treatment, first and foremost because of long term effects of pcos I have to get my weight down to lessen the more serious effects (diabetes and heart disease) and also make me a healthier person, I have now started taking a medicine called metformin to help regulate my hormones which should help my periods begin being regular again. The doctor said then after regular periods will I be able to tell whether or not I can get pregnant. He said that as long as you produce eggs you should be able to get, but if I do not get pg after 6 months  then that means that there is something else going on like endometriosis. So I have to say that I am glad to know what I am fighting. It's nice to have a name/face to my problem. I go back in 3 weeks to see if the meds are affecting my hormones and what not. I now feel a little more like a woman again. I must admit that thru all of this I have really stopped feeling like a woman, I stopped feeling sexy, undesirable. Why would a man want me, I am broken, defective and hideous. To me a woman was made to have children, (this is my personal feelings right now) and if I can't do that, then I can not consider myself a whole woman. It doesn't help that many of the symptoms of PCOS are gross, like abnormal hair growth on the face and body, acne and weight gain, Sometimes i feel more like a teenage boy going thru puberty than a 25 year old woman. Hopefully now the meds that I am taking will reverse most of these symptoms and make me feel even more like a woman again. Beautiful and desirable!

*if anyone has any desire to read more about PCOS click here*   http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/polycystic-ovary-syndrome

No comments:

Post a Comment